Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Post By Manas Singh




Liverpool FC, the team with the richest history in English football; 18 time league winners, five-time champions of Europe. Liverpool FC is a huge part of my life. I started supporting the club when I was 10 years old i.e. back in 2000. The oldest memory that I have of the club is Gary McAlister scoring 40 yard free kick at the dying stages against Everton at Goodison to win us the game. It was also the year where we would go on to win three titles.

I remember the first time I jumped and celebrated for Liverpool. It was Riise’s belter against Manchester United at Anfield. I am sure the TRUE United supporters must know which goal I am referring to. I did see the goal scored by Gary McAlister and follow the treble season but it was not something that I celebrated. I think it is fair to say that moment (JAR’s strike) was when support/interest turned into passion. Liverpool now runs in my blood.

My mom was quite stressed that I was so into Liverpool. Not going for dinner with the family, watching Liverpool’s Champions League matches which started at 1:15am. There was a time when the same morning I would wake up to give my 10th standard prelims. Saving huge amount of money, using it to buy new kits, are just a few examples that made my mom angry. But a true football supporter of any team will know these are just common things. But my mom has come to terms with all this. She does not know what BPL, Champions League is or for that matter who Rafa is. But she knows that Liverpool FC is something that will be in my life forever. With Liverpool being such an integral part of my life, it does make me hyper at times, making me remove my frustration on others. Sometimes I am not able to study, just keep making notes about the team personnel and formation. Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool. That’s all that runs in my mind. But it is something that I have come to terms with. As I have grown up, I have learned how to tackle the problems as they come.

It’s difficult to imagine how my life would be without Liverpool. Whether I would be watching football or not, if I was, which other team would I root for? How exactly I would spend my weekends? I really do thank God that I came across Liverpool FC at such an early age. It makes me feel that it was just meant to be.

Liverpool has given me a few moments that I can’t forget ever in my life. As I mentioned, I didn’t celebrate the treble of 2000-01 too grandly. We reached the Carling Cup final, losing that game against Chelsea. In that particular game Steven Gerrard scored an own goal, which took the game to extra time and we went to lose from there on. The game was not shown live here in India but seeing the videos on the internet, how gutted the players were, made me realize that players really do give it their all in the game. They feel the worst when the team loses. This has made me appreciate each and every player that represents the club.

INSTANBUL. What a night. That final against AC Milan had everything. That game was just what football is all about. The disappointment of going three down at half time. AC Milan was complacent, and Liverpool capitalized. Those 6 minutes, where we scored thrice, are and always will be the best six minutes of my life. The drama of penalties. The game had it all. We had done the unimaginable. Going down 3-0 against an awesome AC Milan defense, than equalizing and going on to win the game.

The following year Rafa and the boys delivered yet another trophy; it was the FA Cup against West Ham United. Even that game had everything. I remember hearing the announcer’s voice, there will be a minimum of 4 minutes of added time, and than Gerrard just let rip. What a strike from Steven Gerrard.

Things are moving in the right direction for Liverpool. The signing of good players like Ryan Babel, Fernando Torres etc just shows the ambition of the club. Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher will never leave the club. The future is looking bright. As long as the American owners don’t fool around with the club, I expect Rafa to build a squad that can win us the league one day.

LMFC (Liverpool Mumbai Fan Club)is obviously dedicated towards Liverpool supporters in Mumbai. It’s where the Liverpool FC supporters come together, play football, have a laugh and watch important games together. There were attempts being made to start such a group since 2005, but finally in August 2008, LMFC was launched. Its growing steadily ever since. Our aim at LMFC is not to have maximum number of supporters; it’s to have good quality of supporters who genuinely support the club. If there is any Liverpool supporter, you are most welcome to join the organization.

1 comment:

Hitesh Gore said...

You Are True Liverpudlian Mate, This is The Difference Between Us Liverpool Fans and Those Idiot Glory Hunters Mancs

You'll Never Walk Alone :D